House was designed in a modified Tudor style, three stories in height, on a
foundation of granite. It is the second oldest Western-style building in Hong
Kong, after Flagstaff House (1846), now the Flagstaff House Museum of Tea Ware
in Hong Kong Park. An elegant three story tower stands in the northwest corner
of Bishop’s House. The main door faces
east with the Latin ANNO DOMINI 1851 above the archway, the year that St.
Paul’s College was officially established.
is a side door below the ground floor with the Chinese characters 耶穌教(the religion of Jesus). There was originally an annex
to Bishop’s House on the site of the present Kong-Kit Building of Ming Hua
Theological College. It housed a succession of schools, including St. Paul’s
College, St. Paul’s Co-educational College, St. Marks School, Kei Yan Primary
School, Sheng Kung Hui Kindergarten, Chung Chi College and Titus English Night
School. The annex fell into disrepair and was subsequently torn down.
as you enter Bishop’s House, to the left is a small chapel with a front piece
inscribed with the characters 道成肉身 (the Word Became
Flesh). Beside the reception desk is a stairway built in the 1960s leading to
the former bishop’s residence. To the left of the entryway are the former